I know it’s still summer and some people are still clinging on to those last summer days. However, I think it’s late enough into the season where we can start thinking about all that Fall has to bring! I absolutely love summer and can’t wait for it to get here during the winter months. That being said, I’d be lying if I said I love it more than fall. I think both seasons are different enough for you to like them both equally. I love the cool weather, the fairs, the fashion, and the yummy treats that fall brings with it!
In anticipation of the Fall, here are some activities you should be gearing up for!
1.APPLE PICKING! Kick off the season with some apple picking! We love to go apple picking and come home and bake something sweet! Apple pies are a favorite in this house!
2. LEAF JUMPING! Noah has always watched the trees in anticipation of the leaves falling so he can jump in them. Of course he doesn’t think of the hard work behind making said piles 😉 We make a day of raking and leaf jumping. I’m so excited to see how Ryan will react to the leaves!
3. HAVE A BONFIRE WITH FRIENDS! It’s the perfect weather for bonfires. The nights are finally cool enough for you to put on your favorite hoodie and sit in front of a fire with some delicious snacks. Invite over your friends and make it a fun night!
4. VISIT ALL THE FAIRS! As soon as September hits, I start gearing up for all of the fairs! If you live in New England, then you are familiar with The Big E! Fun fact that I just found out via my handy assistant google, it’s the 7th largest fair in the nation! Think delicious food, fun rides, interesting vendors and one of the best circus’ you’ll ever see! It’s so good that I even went last year when I was 37.5 weeks pregnant! We also make sure to hit up all of the local fairs nearby! It’s such a fun, and sometimes inexpensive, way to spend the day/night.
5. PICK YOUR OWN PUMPKINS! No fall season is complete until you visit a pumpkin patch! We make sure to go a week before Halloween because if we go any earlier than that, our pumpkins don’t last til Halloween. The reason they don’t last? Noah wants to carve them the second we get home! We’ve been going to the same Pumpkin Farm since before we were married. After we pick the PERFECT pumpkins, we head up the road for some warm apple cider and cider donuts.
6. CARVE YOUR PUMPKINS! After you’ve picked out the perfect pumpkins at the pumpkin patch, and not from your local grocery store, you have to carve them! We love picking a theme and matching our pumpkins to one another. One year we did Lightning McQueen & Mater, another year we did Sully, Boo & Mike Wazowski from Monster’s Inc., and last year we did Wonder Woman and Robin!
7. GO FOR A HAYRIDE! We’ve done this at the pumpkin patch when we go pumpkin picking, and we’ve done it separately. Either way, they are so fun! Last year Ryan was just a few weeks old when we visited this local place called Pumpkintown USA and we enjoyed our first hayride as a family of 4! It was super cute because they had little “pumpkin people” (think cute, not creepy) scattered throughout the trail and Noah pointed them all out!
Waiting for the Hayride!
8. FAMILY COSTUMES FOR HALLOWEEN! Other than for Noah’s first Halloween, where he was just shy of turning one, we have always picked a theme for our costumes! I’ll share the pictures of the last three years for you all to enjoy! Noah is in charge of picking the theme this year! Who knows what we’ll be!
9. TAKE FAMILY PICTURES! We took family pictures last October when Ryan was just 3 weeks old! We took them in our front yard, and honestly, they are the most beautiful pictures ever! Fall is the most beautiful back drop for family photos! The vibrant colors of the changing leaves are just stunning! They don’t have to be professional pictures, just make sure you get outside and take the pictures!
Above all else, have FUN! After all, the days are long but the years are short! Enjoy this season that you find yourself in!
Share the experiences and traditions you and your family enjoy during the fall in the comments below! I’d love to try some new ones with my family!